Photo History of Charleston Pilots June 18, 2014John Cameron Cotton waiting to be loaded at Adgers Wharf, Late 1800’s. A view from High Battery of the extensive visiting sailing vessels, late 1800’s. Pilot schooner working the bar, 1920. Artistic rendering of pilot schooner HENRY P. WILLIAMS Pilots awaiting incoming vessels at the Charleston Pilot Office in 1915. Captain J. Jervey Lockwood aboard the original CHARLESTON PILOT, 1960 Association President F. Sherrill Poulnot (left) aboard the original CHARLESTON PILOT in June of 1960. Nuclear ballistic submarine being piloted into Charleston, 1964. Wheelhouse of the original CHARLESTON PILOT, 1960’s. View of the pilot boat fleet at Adger’s Wharf, 1970. Aerial view of Charleston peninsula, with harbor pilot dock seen in bottom left. 1970’s. Charleston pilot boat SIS II, the first aluminum shuttle boat. Built in 1972 in Louisiana. Inbound tanker coming into Charleston Harbor, 1972. CHARLESTON PILOT II outbound with the Sullivan’s Island light in the background. 1979. An LNG sphere, manufactured at General Dynamics up the Cooper River, passes under the Grace bridges en route to Connecticut in 1980. Looking south at a banana ship at anchor from the old pilot dock at Adger’s Wharf. A pilot’s view from container ship as headed into the old Grace Memorial Bridge over the Cooper River. A view of the original CHARLESTON PILOT II, steel hulled boat, in 1980. Christening of the 55-foot pilot boat CAROLINA by pilot E. Randall Swan, Jr. and Petesy Hollings, wife of Senator Fritz Hollings. 1980. Charleston pilot boarding a break-bulk ship. Russian Spy Ship offshore of Charleston, which was always present when a nuclear submarine moved. 1981. The Pilot’s office in 1985, on the same footprint on Adger’s Wharf as today’s facility. A view of the Morris Island Lighthouse from the jetties. 1985 Merit Cigarette print advertisement shot on a Charleston pilot boat, with apprentice pilot Patrick Kennedy as deckhand. Two Charleston Pilots aboard container ship model at shiphandling school in South Hampton, England, 1990. Modern aluminum hulled SIS IV, built by Gladding-Hearn Shipbuilders in Massachusetts.